Baptism is a Sacrament of the community through which one enters the Body of Christ. The presentation of children for baptism is an occasion for the community to welcome new members into the sacramental life of the Church. Baptism is not a private matter, faith is not the private possession of the individual family. For this reason the preparation and celebration of the sacrament should involve members of the community. This community context provides a sense of common prayer, shared faith, and identification with the whole church.
1. Parents of the child to be baptized must have all the paperwork completed to the parish center at least one month prior to scheduling a baptism date. It is the responsibility of the parents to make the arrangements.
2. Parents must be registered members of St. Anthony Church for at least 4 months.
3. If parents are not registered, they must bring a letter from the parish from which they are registered giving them permission to baptize at St. Anthony Church.
4. Parents must complete a baptism registration form and pay an administration fee of $60.00.
5. A copy of the birth certificate must accompany the baptism registration form.
6. Parents and godparents must attend a pre-baptism class (they must register prior to attending). If they are not able to attend the St. Anthony pre-baptism class, they may attend the class in another parish. A letter or certificate verifying attendance must be submitted to the parish at least two weeks prior to the date of baptism. If this requirement is not met, the baptism will be postponed.
7. The secretary will contact by phone the parents to arrange the date of the pre-baptism class and the date of the baptism.
8. Only two godparents’ names will be recorded on the baptism certificate and in the baptism registry.
9. With regard to godparents, must be one female and one male, at least one must be a fully initiated Catholic; the other must be a baptized Christian and they must be active participating parishioners of their parish community. A Baptismal Sponsor Form must be fill out and signed by their pastor.
10. The pre-baptism class in English is held on the last Tuesday of the month in the Parish Center located at 215 Lomita Street, El Segundo at 7 p.m. Baptisms in English are held on the second Saturday of the month at 10 a.m.
11. The pre-baptism class in Spanish is held on the first Sunday of the month at the Parish Center located at 215 Lomita St., El Segundo at 1:30 p.m.. Baptisms in Spanish are held on the third Saturday of the month at 10 a.m.